Have you seen the work CoolPeopleCare.org have been doing on communicating simple things you can do in five minutes to make the planet healthier? I give them an A- for terrific green marketing & messaging (They’d have an A+ if they’d update their blog more often)
Friends and co-founders, Sam Davidson and Stephen Moseley, created the site to educate on and demonstrate the myriad of little, easy things we can all do to make a big overall difference. And they’ve orchestrated an equally impressive set of green communication tactics to engage the masses.
Here are just seven that caught my eye:
- Daily email tips on what you can do in five minutes
- Robust website that offers events and activities specific to your city (9th Annual Strong Beer Festival in Phoenix) with an area to post your own events
- A new book, “New Day Revolution, How to Save the World in 24 Hours” with more than 100 quick read tips
- Links to other great green messaging causes like “A Pledge for a Song,” where you can download a free tune from Missy Higgins when you pledge to reduce your carbon usage by just two percent. See below for the 10 easy ways to do just that.
- A library of searchable articles
- Facebook and other social media venues
- And of course, YouTube
Sam and Stephen have done an excellent job of making their easy environmental tips as accessible to the public as possible. I leaned about them in a Homestyles magazine (my wife’s an interior designer), so their P.R. machine isn’t bad either. I hope they’re on the front end of a trend to make green marketing and messaging, and the environmental lifestyle tips at its core, as easy, accessible and digestible as possible for the mainstream.
Hey, they got my attention with beer and music.
Ten Quick and Easy Ways to decrease your Carbon Output this year:
- Drive smarter – keep your tires properly inflated, go the speed limit, drive less and walk more!
- Buy local and organic – the average American meal travels 1,500 miles from the farm to the plate. Be more conscious of where your food comes from and you can pollute less at dinner time.
- Call your electric company and switch over to green power! Most utility companies offer renewable energy options for just a few dollars more a month.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs w/compact fluorescent bulbs. Compact fluorescents produce the same amount of light as normal bulbs, but use about a quarter of the electricity and last ten times as long!
- Save energy at home! Caulk and weather strip doorways and windows. Keep your thermostat a few degrees higher in the Summer, and a few degrees lower in the Winter. It makes a big difference!
- Get shower smart. Install low-flow showerheads and faucets and turn your hot water heater down to 120 degrees F to see hot water costs go down by as much as 50%!
- Replace electronics and appliances with energy efficient models. Look for the Energy Star label when purchasing.
- Plant a tree! Planting shade tress around your house will absorb CO2 and slash your Summer air-conditioning bills.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Recycling paper, glass and metal saves 70-90% of the energy used to produce new materials while keeping more waste out of landfills. Buy purchasing used clothes and furniture you save the environment from the effects of all of the energy that would have been used to create those same products if they were brand new!
- Mount a local campaign against global warming and participate at the national, state and local level. Click here for details.