Yesterday, our daughter emailed us this list of 40 ways to live a more fulfilling and less stressed life. My wife read them to me this morning. So I thought I’d share them with you today. Think about it: If you practiced just one of these tips each day, I’d guarantee that the world outlook, global warming, and our economy wouldn’t appear so bad and perhaps even more manageable. Enjoy!
- Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
- Buy a DVR and tape your late night shows and get more sleep.
- When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, ‘My purpose is to__________ today.’
- Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
- Play more games and read more books than you did in 2008.
- Make time to practice meditation, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
- Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
- Dream more while you are awake.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants, and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
- Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- Clear clutter from your house, your car, your desk, and let new and flowing energy into your life.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past, OR negative thoughts or things you can not control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
- Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class, but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
- at breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card. (I don’t quite understand this one. Must be my blonde hair!)
- Smile and laugh more. It will keep the NEGATIVE BLUES away.
- Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
- Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words: ‘In five years, will this matter?’
- Forgive everyone for everything.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- REMEMBER GOD heals everything.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- The best is yet to come.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Do the right thing!
- Call your family often. (Or email them to death!)
- Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am thankful for__________. Today I accomplished_________.
- Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
- Enjoy the ride. Remember this is not Disney World and you certainly don’t want a fast pass. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.
- May your troubles be less, May your blessings be more, May nothing but happiness come through your door!
Do you have a tip to add to the list? Please share, and have a great day in the process.
Given that this has been one of my most popular blogs to date, and inspired by a ReTweet experiment by Jeremiah Owyang, I’m inviting you to easily ReTweet this blog. Just copy the following line and paste it in your Twitter message box, and send:
40 tips for a better life: Can you add to the list? http://tinyurl.com/9qaf6e