More than 100 creative Phoenicians showed up at Park&Co last night for the monthly Creative Connect networking event. Thank you for bringing loads of stuff for Goodwill of Central Arizona. Goodwill had to send a special truck to the agency this morning to handle all of the treasures you donated. You folks are fantastic. Click here for photos from the event.
We do a lot of work for Goodwill, and we’ve been studying the phenomenon of “stuff” in our lives. Did you know…
- There are more self storage facilities in America than there are Starbucks
- Garages are getting larger, yet 30% of Americans can’t park their cars in them
- It takes 1,800 gallons of water for every pair of denim jeans, so imagine the environmental impact you can have be re-purposing your old ones
George Carlin is a great example of combining creativity with stuff. He did this hysterical bit almost 20 years ago about the “stuff.”
Why simplify your life by donating your unused stuff to Goodwill?
- Goodwill’s mission is to serve people with disabilities or people who would otherwise face obstacles to entering the workforce.
- In 2008, nearly 23,000 people received services at Goodwill and more than 5,100 were placed in competitive employment.
- Give to Goodwill instead of a landfill… they kept more than 135 million pounds of items out of the dump last year.
- When you donate stuff to Goodwill, you know exactly where it’s going. If you dump it in some unmarked donation bin on a street corner or in a vacant lot, often your “donation” is going to a for-profit thrift operation and does not help organizations like Goodwill that depend on your stuff to help put people back to work.
Creative Connect meets on the second Tuesday of each month. It’s intended to create connection, communication, cooperation and cohesiveness within creative communities, and a way to build relationships and rapport between creatives. It’s a mixer format and a “show up if you can” gathering opportunity.